APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
ComSciCon-MI (https://comscicon.com/comscicon-michigan-2020) is a local branch of the nationally-renowned ComSciCon franchise. This two day workshop will provide hands-on science communication training with experts in oral communication, written communication, visual media, and more! To maximize the impact of this workshop, we will ask accepted participants to complete a few brief pre-workshop requirements:
- Send a check deposit in the amount of $50, which will only be deposited if you do not attend both days of the workshop
- Prepare a writing sample that will be edited both before and during the workshop (prompts will be sent at a later date to accepted participants).
ComSciCon-MI 2020 will take place online, via zoom, from August 22nd - 23rd, 2020. Graduate students and postdoctoral researchers from around the state of Michigan are invited to apply!
The application includes a few short answer questions, listed here so that you may prepare your responses before beginning the application:
- Describe your research in 5 words or less
- Describe one or more science communication efforts you've been involved in, and what you believe may be particularly impactful about those efforts. (These could include participation or leadership in student organizations, contributions to science outreach programs, blogging or other writing for the general public, or other experiences.) Focus on activities outside of your regular duties as a graduate student. Write a response using no more than 750 characters.
- What are your goals as a science communicator and how does attending ComSciCon-Michigan align with those goals? (ie. How would attending help your ongoing projects and your future career? Are there new efforts or ideas you’re hoping to get engaged in through connections you would make? How would you bring the things you learned back to the community?) Write a response using no more than 600 characters.
- A friend who works in a field unrelated to yours is interested in your studies. They ask what the most exciting research area, event, or other development is in your field today (this could be research that you do yourself). Please describe these advancements in an accurate and exciting way! Write a response using no more than 500 characters.
Click here to begin your application here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!