ComSciCon's National Workshop is a highly interactive and cooperative event. For instance, several of the sessions include group workshopping of already-developed science communication pieces.
All accepted attendees to ComSciCon 2017 are expected to complete the following in advance of attending the workshop. Check back soon for additional details of each requirement.
Through the "Write-A-Thon", ComSciCon attendees develop science communication pieces (articles, videos, etc) and workshop them extensively with fellow attendees and science communication experts. Many of these pieces are later published in major science communication outlets.
- Mid-May: Draft due - 2-3 pages written or ~5 minutes of multimedia
- Early June: Peer edits due
- Mid-June: Expert review at ComSciCon
For the K-12 Session, ComSciCon attendees will develop a short "research bite", summarizing a research paper or discovery for a high-school audience. At ComSciCon, these pieces will be workshopped into lesson plans with K-12 educators.
- Early June: Draft due - a few written paragraphs (400-600 words) plus brainstormed ideas for hands-on activities
- Mid-June: Educator review at ComSciCon
Story Collider Piece
ComSciCon features an E-Posterboards session where attendees can highlight their exciting ongoing work in science communication. We are unfortunately not able to offer posters to all attendees, so we ask interested attendees to submit abstracts. Selected attendees will be invited to prepare an electronic poster before the workshop.
- Early May: Short abstract due
- Late May: Submit final electronic poster (selected attendees)
ComSciCon is interested in learning more about how best to improve science communication training. We evaluate our performance through surveys before, immediately following, and 6-months after the workshop.
- Early June: Complete pre-workshop survey
- Late June: Complete post-workshop survey
- Early 2018: Complete follow-up survey
Deposit and Paperwork
Attendees are required to submit a deposit ($50 check), which will be refunded (not deposited) following the workshop. We also require some basic paperwork (W9s, or equivalent for international attendees) to be submitted prior to the workshop to allow for reimbursement of travel expenses.
- Mid-April: Deadline for receipt of deposit and paperwork